Chongqing Monastery, Ten Kings of Hell Hall 崇慶寺十帝閻君殿https://architecturasinica.org/place/000152
- Ten Kings of Hell Hall (English)
- 十帝閻君殿 (Traditional Chinese)
- 十帝阎君殿 (Simplified Chinese)
- Shídìyánjūndiàn (Pinyin)
- Shih-ti-yen-chün-tien (Wade-Giles)
- Chongqingsi Shidiyanjundian (English)
- 崇慶寺十帝閻君殿 (Traditional Chinese)
- 崇庆寺十帝阎君殿 (Simplified Chinese)
Building InformationThe Ten Kings of Hell Hall is also called the Ten Kings Hall (Shiwangdian), and Dizang Hall (Dizangdian). Based on the extant ridge plaque inscription, it should date to 大明嘉靖二十七年 or 1548. The body of the building is three bays wide, four rafters deep, and it has a single-eaves overhanging-gable roof, with glazed tiles on the roof ridge. The roof frame consists of a four-rafter beam stretching from front to back eaves, above which is placed a pingliang tie beam. The column-top bracket sets extend three steps (outward) and have a single slanted bracket arm (昂) (Summary: Miller).1
Dynasty Ming (1368-1644) 2
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 国家文物局. 2006. 中国文物地图集. 山西分册, II (中): 360; 96-C3-4.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
Contained in Place
How to Cite This Entry
Tracy Miller, “Chongqing Monastery, Ten Kings of Hell Hall 崇慶寺十帝閻君殿 ” in Architectura Sinica last modified September 26, 2020, https://architecturasinica.org/place/000152.
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Chongqing Monastery, Ten Kings of Hell Hall 崇慶寺十帝閻君殿 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published March 21, 2018. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000152.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Chongqing Monastery, Ten Kings of Hell Hall 崇慶寺十帝閻君殿
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Chongqing Monastery, Ten Kings of Hell Hall 崇慶寺十帝閻君殿 ”
- Editing, proofreading, data entry and revision by Tracy Miller
Copyright and License for Reuse
Except otherwise noted, this page is © 2018.
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.