Jin Shrines, Fangzhang Cavern 晉祠方丈洞https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048z
- Fangzhang Cavern (English)
- 方丈洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 方丈洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- Fāngzhàngdòng (Pinyin)
- Fang-chang-tung (Wade-Giles)
- Jinci Fangzhang Cavern (English)
- 晉祠方丈洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 晋祠方丈洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- Jinci Laojun Shrine (English)
- 晉祠老君祠 (Traditional Chinese)
- 晋祠老君祠 (Simplified Chinese)
Fangzhang Cavern, also known as Laojun Shrine 老君祠, is located to the south of Chaoyang Cavern, and its single entrance leads to three caverns. According to Liu Dapeng, this was originally the residence of Daoist priests who placed an images of Laozi and guardian warriors in the shrine. Then the Daoist priests were replaced with Buddhist monks, and this was consequently renamed ‘abbot’s quarters' (fangzhang). None of the caverns along this portion of the mountain (numbers 26-32 on our plan of the site) are shown on Gao Ruxing’s (jinshi 1521) Jinci zhitu 晉祠之圖 (1551).1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 MILLER. 2007. The Divine Nature of Power: Chinese Ritual Architecture at the Sacred Site of Jinci, 195.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
Contained in Place
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Jin Shrines, Fangzhang Cavern 晉祠方丈洞 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published 2021-9-23-01:00. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048z.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Jin Shrines, Fangzhang Cavern 晉祠方丈洞
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Jin Shrines, Fangzhang Cavern 晉祠方丈洞 ”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Editing and proof correction Tracy Miller
- Data entry CHEN Zhuo 陈卓
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.