Jin Shrines, Cha-yan Cavern 晉祠茶煙洞https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048da
- Cha-yan Cavern (English)
- 茶煙洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 茶烟洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- Cháyāndòng (Pinyin)
- Ch'a-yen-tung (Wade-Giles)
- Jinci chayandong (English)
- 晉祠茶煙洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 晋祠茶烟洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- 雲陶洞 (Traditional Chinese)
- 云陶洞 (Simplified Chinese)
- Yuntaodong (Pinyin)
- Shanxi Province (English)
- 山西省 (Traditional Chinese)
- Shānxī shěng (Pinyin)
- Taiyuan Municipality (English)
- 太原市 (Simplified Chinese)
- Tàiyuán shì (Pinyin)
- Lat. 37.708727° Long. 112.434575°
Also called Yuntaodong 云陶洞. Located north of Chaoyang Cavern, originally called Chaoyang bieyi dong 朝陽別一洞 (the other Chaoyang cavern), but it is deeper than Chaoyang Cavern. Within it there is another small cave, a tea stove and a stone bed. According to Liu Yongde, this place was thought to have been excavated for the use of troops in the area, and was where Fu Shan (1607–1684) was said to have been imprisoned. It came to be called Tea Smoke Cavern after this time, when Daoist priests brewed tea to entertain troops (Miller 2007, 195). This structure is number 28 on our plan of the site.1
Any information without attribution has been created following the Syriaca.org editorial guidelines.
- 1 MILLER. 2007. The Divine Nature of Power: Chinese Ritual Architecture at the Sacred Site of Jinci, 195.
- 2 WILKINSON. 2000. Chinese History: A Manual, 12.
Contained in Place
How to Cite This Entry
Bibliography:Tracy Miller, “Jin Shrines, Cha-yan Cavern 晉祠茶煙洞 .” In Architectura Sinica, edited by . Entry published September 16, 2021. https://architecturasinica.org/place/000048da.
About this Entry
Entry Title: Jin Shrines, Cha-yan Cavern 晉祠茶煙洞
Authorial and Editorial Responsibility:
- Tracy Miller, entry contributor, “Jin Shrines, Cha-yan Cavern 晉祠茶煙洞 ”
- Website coordination by Yuh-Fen Benda
- Editing and proof correction Tracy Miller Yuh-Fen Benda
- Data entry HUANG Danni 黄聃婗
Copyright and License for Reuse
Distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.